Session Nine: Middles
Grappling with the difficult middle, and how it doesn’t have to be difficult. Examining Act 2 in minute detail: The New Territory. Opening cans of worms for your characters in Act 2 and exploring the possibilities which ensue. Developing your characters, themes, plot strands and central question through to the End of Act 2 turning-point.
Following on from the Beginners Playwriting course, the 11-month Advanced course delves deeper into each topic, as well as introducing some new and highly relevant concepts for the emerging playwright. The aim of this course is to nurture the writer as well as their work, encouraging individuals to examine their writer identities and experiment outside of their comfort zones by exploring unfamiliar genres and forms.
Combining theory, written exercises, textual analysis and personal exploration, the workshops explore Worldbuilding, Character, Dramatic Action, how to write a great Scene, how to write good dialogue and spot and fix common problems in bad dialogue. Over three workshops, we look in minute detail at how to develop plot, character and themes from beginning, middle to end through Acts 1, 2 and 3.
Please note there is a supporting Google Classroom for this course and the direct link to join can be found in confirmation email under the Additional information section.
If you have any accessibility requirements, please directly get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not sure if this class is for you or would like more information, please contact us to discuss. Ask the organiser or email: email@example.com.
To ensure you don’t miss out on the latest updates, please sign up to our e-newsletter
NB: To make the most of the Advanced Playwriting Classes with Lucy Kaufman, please ensure that you book your place and that you are prepared to attend all the available sessions, there are 11 monthly sessions in total.
Tickets will be released in three-month blocks for the following dates:
- 23 March 2022
- 20 April 2022
- 25 May 2022
- 22 June 2022
- 20 July 2022
- NB: Content includes viewing films for illustration purposes which may feature content that some people may find upsetting, uses language or depicts scenes reflecting attitudes to race and sex that are no longer seen as acceptable.
- Booking is essential. Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to remove participants who are found not to have booked a place for a session.
- This course is intended for those who have attended a Pen to Print playwriting writing course before.
- If you have previously attended the Beginners Playwriting Classes, we recommend participants book the Advanced Playwriting Classes with Lucy Kaufman.
- Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to unenroll you from one or both courses, if you are found to have booked places on both courses.
- Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to remove participants who are disruptive to a session.
- Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to unenroll a participant from a course and explore an alternative approach to supporting them on their writing journey, if we feel that a class is unsuitable for that participant.