NB: This session can also be booked to attend In-person at Barking Learning Centre.
Session Three: Description
- How best to use description in your writing
- Description exercise
- Free writing
If you are a beginner to writing and would like to learn how to write that book you always knew was inside you, or a more experienced writer who wants to reacquaint yourself with the fundamentals of writing – this course is for you.
Over ten two-hour monthly sessions, Ian Ayris will take you through every aspect of creative writing – from structure to dialogue, description, point of view and everything in between – all the way through to writing a synopsis and the process of submission.
Ian Ayris is an author, editor, workshop leader and Creative Writing tutor. Ian is also a Fellow of the Royal Literary Fund and a regular columnist for Writing Magazine – the biggest selling writing magazine in the UK.
Ian has written three novels, two novellas and over forty short stories – all published traditionally online and in print. From the inception of Pen to Print in 2014, Ian has devised and taught the Creative Writing classes on the project, as well as being a writing mentor for The Book Challenge.
In May 2023, Ian represented Pen to Print on a panel at Hay Festival discussing the place of under-represented and disenfranchised authors in the publishing industry.
Please note there is a supporting Google Classroom for this course and the direct link to join can be found in confirmation email under the Additional information section.
If you have any accessibility requirements, please directly get in touch with us at email@example.com
If you are not sure if this class is for you or would like more information, please contact us to discuss. Ask the organiser or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure you don’t miss out on the latest updates, please sign up to our e-newsletter
NB: To make the most of the Creative Writing Classes with Ian Ayris, please ensure that you book your place and that you are prepared to attend all the available sessions, there are 10 monthly sessions in total.
Tickets will be released in three-month blocks for the following dates:
- 14 October 2023
- 4 November 2023
- 16 December 2023
- 13 January 2024
- 3 February 2024
- 2 March 2024
- 6 April 2024
- 11 May 2024
- 1 June 2024
- 13 July 2024
- Booking is essential. Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to remove participants who are found not to have booked a place for a session
- Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to remove participants who are disruptive to a session
- Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to unenroll a participant from a course and explore an alternative approach to supporting them on their writing journey, if we feel that a class is unsuitable for that participant
- NB: May feature content that some people may find upsetting, uses language or depicts scenes reflecting attitudes that are no longer seen as acceptable
- Pen to Print reserves the right to cancel, delay or postpone the event for any reason, including adverse weather conditions, an emergency situation or unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances out of its reasonable control. In such cases, the event organiser will endeavour to inform participants as quickly as is possible