Session Four: Film As Document And Expression
Understanding the importance of locations and settings in films and how to use them effectively in your own film script:
- Exploring the use of location and landscape as a character in itself
- How settings can document a time and place or express a character’s situation or inner life
- Using familiar locations as settings in your screenplay
This 10-month course is aimed at anyone new to Screenwriting and takes participants back to the humble beginnings of Cinema to explore the very essence of what Film is and what it can do.
Writer and Screenwriting lecturer Lucy Kaufman examines some of the most important concepts in writing for the screen. Lucy encourages aspiring screenwriters to delve into their own human resources in order to create visual stories, scenes, plots and characters that will work well on screen, and will have a powerful emotional impact on a cinema audience.
Introducing basic film language and how to format a screenplay on the page, the workshops combine analysis of film clips and scripted screenplays with practical written exercises and discussion.
Please note there is a supporting Google Classroom for this course and the direct link to join can be found in confirmation email under the Additional information section.
If you have any accessibility requirements, please directly get in touch with us at email@example.com
If you are not sure if this class is for you or would like more information, please contact us to discuss. Ask the organiser or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure you don’t miss out on the latest updates, please sign up to our e-newsletter
NB: To make the most of the Screenwriting Classes with Lucy Kaufman, please ensure that you book your place and that you are prepared to attend all the available sessions, there are 10 monthly sessions in total.
Tickets will be released in three-month blocks for the following dates:
- 14 September 2022
- 12 October 2022
- 9 November 2022
- 14 December 2022
- 18 January 2023
- 22 February 2023
- 15 March 2023
- 12 April 2023
- 17 May 2023
- 14 June 2023
- NB: Content includes viewing films for illustration purposes which may feature content that some people may find upsetting, uses language or depicts scenes reflecting attitudes to race and sex that are no longer seen as acceptable.
- Booking is essential. Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to remove participants who are found not to have booked a place for a session.
- Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to remove participants who are disruptive to a session.
- Pen to Print and our partners reserve the right to unenroll a participant from a course and explore an alternative approach to supporting them on their writing journey, if we feel that a class is unsuitable for that participant.